Sunday, February 22, 2009

I'm winning!

Publix Savings!
So over the last 4 months I have been learning how to save save save at the grocery store. I've been meaning to post a blog about it for months. Since being able to get out with the crutches I've been able to do better with the savings. So this morning at Publix, I was able to save about 73% off my bill!
So this is what I bought:

My total bill was $25.21 and I paid $6.92!!


The young cashier saw the final price and said "how did you do that, you rock!" I laughed...I rock! (per the teenage cashier boy!)

So if you divide that out it is about $0.53/per item! (the highest price item was just $0.65! most averaged @ $0.25) The tortilla chips - not a usual item I need. It wasn't on my list. But it was their penny mystery item. So for $0.01, I can find a use for them. And the gum was FREE!

I use a few websites to help me accomplish my savings.
These are the ones I use the most:
Southern Savers
Money Saving Mom
Coupons

With occassional searching here:
Fiddledeedee!
BeCentsAble

Deal seeking mom has saved me money at Walmart. Some of her sales weren't at my store but most were. (or my store didn't carry the product in the size I needed to get the deal) I just saved my coupons for another time.

I never spend more than about 10-15 minutes making my list and gathering the coupons. I do subscribe to the sunday paper for the coupon inserts and sometimes I will get a 2nd paper at Walgreen's if I'm out and about on Sunday. (Walgreen's sales their sunday papers for $0.50 less than newstand). I also follow the links on the list on southernsaver that will get you a printable coupons (yes you can print in black and white). I went online to publix and signed up for their free at home mailings of their saving magazine which has some great deals and coupons in it that the ones at the store don't have. I even signed up for the familystyle one. I don't have kids but I can still use the savings. I have also gone to all my favorite brand websites (pillsbury, betty crocker, uncle ben's, etc) and they have programs where you can either print off coupons or they will have a booklet to mail you with a lot of savings in them.

Another site I like is $5Dinners. It has great money saving ideas and some good recipes. If you like using your crockpot head over to A Year of Crockpotting. If you have a gluten free house, I believe all of these crockpot recipes are gluten free. (a crockpot can cook your dinner for an average of $0.20 - much cheaper than the oven)

Okay enough about couponing, dinners and dealmaking!

Happy shopping!

2 comments:

The Ross' said...

AAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm loving this coupon game. Thanks for teaching me. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is awesome, Vicki! I can definitely use these tips as I am currently unemployed! :)