On Saturday, my friend Gretchen suggested we go paint some pottery at one of those pottery painting places that have sprung up all over. So off we went to Painted by U. http://www.paintedbyu.com/home our friend Dana also came and we spent about 3 hours painting the pieces of pottery we had picked out. I did have fun and it distracted my thoughts for a while of wanting to be home.
Don’t we look like budding artists! It was fun and my piece will be ready this Friday.
We then went and had a great lunch at one of my favorite bbq places: Jim n'Nicks - maybe not the best in town but always good service and good food.
All day Saturday, I contemplated whether I should run in the Nike World 10K Run. I had been looking forward to running it for so long; I figured I would go out and try to make it though. I have been having a left ankle problem since spraining it in my last 5K in June. When the alarm clock went off at 0540 on a non-workday I grimaced and got up tested my ankle and off I went. The only person I recognized was my coach from the running program I participated in this past winter. Just talking with him reminds me of how I am not crazy for loving to run, how everyone is a beginner and it only matters to cover the distance and finish. It was a low-key causal race and off we went at 0630. I LOVE running in the morning have I mentioned that. Oh, so many things are great about morning runs. Just a few.... Quite, little to no cars on the roads, morning fresh air, the cover of moisture on the grass, the birds and if it is really early the frogs and crickets are still serenading me, the thought that that day is a new day - a fresh start - a DO OVER! For anything that happened the previous day. I often do not listen to music in the morning because of all the great morning sounds. I ran for the 1st 1.5 at a good steady pace, but after that the ankle was in dire pain and I then began my plan B. Run until you cannot then walk keeping a 15min walk pace. Hey, I did want to finish eventually. After the 2nd mile, all runners left me. It was just the quite and me. Kind of sad knowing I would have to find the willpower to
complete the other 4 miles on my own. I was worried about making a wrong turn (they said the course was chalked but I was afraid I would mess up - this neighborhood is heavily marked with courses) But to my delight there were cones with signs at eat turn... and they were left over signs from the marathon - these signs helped me - they gave me an added boost. Yes, I know I was not actually running a marathon but I was able to fool my heart to convince my brain to keep my feet hitting the pavement - one-step after the other. I only stopped for a few minutes at the 1st water stop. Afraid to stop too long and I would not be able to get the ankle happy again. Once I made it to the 2nd water stop it was 5miles and they were packing up the water. Wow, I was being slow. I charged on at a slower pace. I knew in my mind that slower = the ability to go farther and wow I put that to the test. As I rounded the last corner by the running shop I could see the official time clock high up on its stand...they were breaking it down :-( I was the last runner...and then I heard "wait there she is!" coming from the crowd - it was my old running coach and his wife. They began to cheer me one and others followed I heard my name numerous times from people I do not even know. It was slightly embarrassing but incredibly encouraging. Yes, I was the last one coming in at 1:25:26 but I FINISHED. Limping and all, I FINISHED and that was the goal. Apparently, everyone finished under 1hour -but most are long time runners and competitors. I was so proud of myself. It is only the second time I have run 6.2 miles and it feels the same - AWESOME! Here is a picture of me after. I have to make an appointment this week to go see an orthopedist about the ankle. I am trying to think positive. I just have a sinking feeling of what they will tell me and how they plan to fix it. I did not like the answer and high school to an injured ankle and had three options then and I went with dropping out of dance classes. I mean what girl wants to wear a cast for her senior prom!Well that was my weekend in nutshell. Not what I had planned but it turned out well with plenty of fun activities and quite time all wrapped in one.
We then went and had a great lunch at one of my favorite bbq places: Jim n'Nicks - maybe not the best in town but always good service and good food.
All day Saturday, I contemplated whether I should run in the Nike World 10K Run. I had been looking forward to running it for so long; I figured I would go out and try to make it though. I have been having a left ankle problem since spraining it in my last 5K in June. When the alarm clock went off at 0540 on a non-workday I grimaced and got up tested my ankle and off I went. The only person I recognized was my coach from the running program I participated in this past winter. Just talking with him reminds me of how I am not crazy for loving to run, how everyone is a beginner and it only matters to cover the distance and finish. It was a low-key causal race and off we went at 0630. I LOVE running in the morning have I mentioned that. Oh, so many things are great about morning runs. Just a few.... Quite, little to no cars on the roads, morning fresh air, the cover of moisture on the grass, the birds and if it is really early the frogs and crickets are still serenading me, the thought that that day is a new day - a fresh start - a DO OVER! For anything that happened the previous day. I often do not listen to music in the morning because of all the great morning sounds. I ran for the 1st 1.5 at a good steady pace, but after that the ankle was in dire pain and I then began my plan B. Run until you cannot then walk keeping a 15min walk pace. Hey, I did want to finish eventually. After the 2nd mile, all runners left me. It was just the quite and me. Kind of sad knowing I would have to find the willpower to
complete the other 4 miles on my own. I was worried about making a wrong turn (they said the course was chalked but I was afraid I would mess up - this neighborhood is heavily marked with courses) But to my delight there were cones with signs at eat turn... and they were left over signs from the marathon - these signs helped me - they gave me an added boost. Yes, I know I was not actually running a marathon but I was able to fool my heart to convince my brain to keep my feet hitting the pavement - one-step after the other. I only stopped for a few minutes at the 1st water stop. Afraid to stop too long and I would not be able to get the ankle happy again. Once I made it to the 2nd water stop it was 5miles and they were packing up the water. Wow, I was being slow. I charged on at a slower pace. I knew in my mind that slower = the ability to go farther and wow I put that to the test. As I rounded the last corner by the running shop I could see the official time clock high up on its stand...they were breaking it down :-( I was the last runner...and then I heard "wait there she is!" coming from the crowd - it was my old running coach and his wife. They began to cheer me one and others followed I heard my name numerous times from people I do not even know. It was slightly embarrassing but incredibly encouraging. Yes, I was the last one coming in at 1:25:26 but I FINISHED. Limping and all, I FINISHED and that was the goal. Apparently, everyone finished under 1hour -but most are long time runners and competitors. I was so proud of myself. It is only the second time I have run 6.2 miles and it feels the same - AWESOME! Here is a picture of me after. I have to make an appointment this week to go see an orthopedist about the ankle. I am trying to think positive. I just have a sinking feeling of what they will tell me and how they plan to fix it. I did not like the answer and high school to an injured ankle and had three options then and I went with dropping out of dance classes. I mean what girl wants to wear a cast for her senior prom!Well that was my weekend in nutshell. Not what I had planned but it turned out well with plenty of fun activities and quite time all wrapped in one.





No comments:
Post a Comment